Wednesday 15 February 2012

What Alex Mac Drank

I was talking to my good friend David about my blog the other day.  I mentioned how I found it difficult to remember all the different types of wine that I tried and what I thought of them. He made a brilliant suggestion that I am now bringing into reality. Each time I drink a wine going forward I will photograph the label and write a short blurb on it. The name and variety, what it was like, how I drank it and how much it cost. 
I won't bore you with every single wine that comes across my path but ones that particularly strike a chord I will let you in on.

Over the last few weeks I have drunk some delicious wines over some lovely occasions spent with my friends and family as always. Give them a try if they take your fancy.

Oldbury 
Southern Highlands 
Pinot Noir 2010
Delicious light cherry character wine. Cold climate wine.
Drank it with my friend David over a dinner of spaghetti and meatballs with toasty sourdough and rocket salad.
8/10 Yummies
$25 a bottle

Torbreck
Barossa Valley
2010 Cuvee Juvenilles
Unusual mix of red grape varieties. Easy drinking heavier style.
Drank it with a friend over dinner. Definitely worth a try though.
6/10 Yummies
$25 a bottle

SHW 
Southern Highlands
Chardonnay
Dry and crisp. Classic French style of Chardonnay.
Drank it at a summer BBQ on a sunny balcony in Bronte with some new friends.
7/10 Yummies
$20 a bottle



Wolf Blass  
Clare Valley Eden Valley

2011 Riesling
Regions famous for producing Riesling with delicate fruit and floral characteristics. Clean, crisp and perfect with light food.
Drank this with 3 girls I lived with in Paris. We celebrated the engagement of Louise whilst eating yummy home made Vietnamese rice paper roles by the pool on a summer afternoon.
6/10 Yummies
$25 a bottle
Annie’s Lane
Clare Valley
2011 Quelltaler Riesling
German style Riesling. Very crisp, lovely wine that can be drunk with or without food.
Drank this at the Gourmet Traveller Wine Riesling Rampage event at Doltone House with Papa Guigs last Monday night.
The winemaker was a lovely man who spoke genuinely about his wines and I was charmed by his passion.
7/10 Yummies
$25 a bottle

Pewsey Vale 
Eden Valley
2011 Riesling
Cooler climate Riesling that is just a pleasure to drink. This wine was the absolute star of the Gourmet Traveller Wine show.
Drank it will Papa Guigs whilst overlooking the view of the beautiful Sydney Harbour.
8/10 Yummies
$17 a bottle















3 comments:

  1. Just checking if these comments work

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alex - it's nice to see your lovely smile again - has been a long time since working in South Hurstville and running into you from time to time at Portmans. Just opened a bottle of McGuigan to have with dinner, wondered what you were up to and then found this! I am definitely a fan of the wine recommendations - I tend to stick to the same old favourites unless someone recommends something - I'm a bit of a chicken. Do like the Annie's Lane though. Anyway, hope you're well! - Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alex, I'm such a wine novice so I love how easy this is to read (and showing the labels is such a great idea)! Please keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete