Sunday 29 April 2012

Just a little bit about loving wine...

As the cool weather sets in and we replace bikinis and kaftans with stylish scarves and coats, so to does our taste in wine generally move from the crisp aromatics to something a little more smooth and comforting. Almost like Day and Night I have turned back into my red blooded wine loving self and see a few more red tainted blogs coming this way.

I just noticed the change last night as the cold snap of wind gushed around my bare neck. Jumping from the bus and hurrying along to the front door all I could think was that there was a lovely soft red to embrace me when I finally got inside. The sheer thought of the comfort a lovely glass of wine will bring when braving the weather, is almost as intoxicating as the drink itself. It occurred to me yesterday that there is just something so comforting about escaping the cold to warm up with a vino, and considering that Europe is so cold there is no wonder why they produce some of the best reds in the world.

Not only is the wine itself comforting but the premature conjuring of images about food and wine is a delight. The whole event in France begins with deciding what one will eat, followed by a spirited trip to the market to fetch the freshest of ingredients, the anticipation then builds as delicious complementary flavours permeate the air and whet the palate. Of course someone must bring the wine, but you can bet your bottom dollar that those guests have subtly acquired this information from the host and have selected a wine to match the meal perfectly. The actual meal itself is the icing on the cake as by this stage all the senses have been evoked through the preparation. Ahhh, such is the bliss of the delights of common day practices in France! Those foodies and winos among us can take heed from their practices though and add a modern twist.

Tonight I sit here drinking a delicious glass of Marlborough Pinot Noir from a label called Fox by John Belsham which retails for around $20. It is aged three years and has a slight brown tinge to the red colour. The palate is also more developed and the flavours last on my tongue for longer than I am able to resist another scrumptious sip. 

Unfortunately I do not have the luck of being invited to a dinner party with lavish courses this evening (or any evening that I can remember in recent history) however, as I walked home from yoga the crisp air hit my face and I was delighted by the thought of my Marlborough Pinot Noir that was going to greet me in my cosy apartment. The beauty of wine for me comes in so many different forms, from sharing with friends and family, to enjoying Sunday evening solitude with a glass all to myself. Perhaps I see the whole industry with rose tinted glasses, however as they say 'ignorance is bliss'.

This evenings blog may be a little more self indulgent rather than academic, however occasionally I think it is necessary to reassert why we do what we do, and why we love what we love. A life without passion is a sad life indeed and I am pleased to say that with a vino in my hand, or a lovely one waiting for me when I get home this will never be me. Decide what it is you love and make sure you have a little bit of it a lot of the time. Tonight I truly feel in a state of utter bliss.

Enjoy whatever you are drinking tonight and be grateful for the company you have sharing it with you. Tonight I don't need you to have a glass for me, I am having one for myself. Alex Mac.



No comments:

Post a Comment