Friday 2 August 2013

Divine Intervention

Last night was one of those nights, a simple Monday evening that would begin like all others but yet end as a defining moment. You know the type that I am taking about, those moments that are so coincidental that they couldn't possible be an accident. A moment of pure fate sent from above! Maybe I am exaggerating here a little, but hear me out. You may or may have not noticed that I have taken a little sabbatical from my blog. No excuses necessary, however after my mother passed away last year I lost my mojo and stepped off the wine scene for a while.


In April a friend told me about a new website called Airbnb and suggested that since I travel so often that I could rent my apartment. I started renting it on occasion and in June was contacted by a French lady by the name of Aline Baly. She requested to stay longer than I usually accept and we began corresponding more so than usual to organise. Aline mentioned that she would be hosting some wine master classes on a marketing trip for her family wine company. To thank me for my hospitality she invited me to the Chateau Coutet Master Class presented by Five Ways Cellars owners Ian and Prue Cook at their magnificent family home in Annandale.

I met Aline at my apartment and she looked quintessentially French.  Wearing ballet flats, a pashmina flung loosely across the shoulder and a Longchamp bag she looked effortlessly chic.

A quick cab ride away and we arrived at the Cook residence. Greeted by our friendly hosts with oysters and champagne we mingled among the other guests as everyone arrived. One gentleman asked me what I thought of Sauternes and whether I drink it often? Luckily we were called to the table before I had to give an answer. Phew, that was close!

Aline took control of the formalities like a star and had her audience captivated with her knowledge. Accompanied by home made Parmesan biscuits, chicken liver pâté, onion tart and cheese soufflé we tasted some of the most interesting and delicious wines I have ever come into contact with. The wines of Sauternes are sweet wines produced when the botrytis fungas attacks the grapes. We were encouraged to drink the wines with savoury food which was a first. To my delight the pairings were delicious.
Aline Baly & Ian Cook

My expertise in the specifics of the region still have a long way to go. However I can say that the experience of being invited into someone's home, to drink truly spectacular wine with delicious food is simply heaven. An experience that could only be topped by the host being one of Bordeaux's finest!

The crazy thing in all of this is that I had almost lost the drive behind my love of wine when my mother passed away. The coincidence to be sent Aline as a random guest in my apartment is just too great. It is clearly nothing less than divine intervention.

Until next time. Have a glass for me. Alex Mac

2 comments:

  1. Glad you've got your mojo back Alex....I enjoyed the read and look forward to your next blog! Hope all is well in other aspects of your life - take care and, as instructed, I'll have a glass for you! Cheers! Kylie (in Tassie) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kylie. Nice to know that someone else is drinking around town.

    ReplyDelete