Saturday 27 August 2011

Confession



I have a confession to make. I have not been faithful. Now, before you judge and sit on your high horse and tell me that I am wrong, I believe that you should hear me out.

Good old Cabernet Sauvignon and I have not been together long, however there are some things about him that are already grating on my nerves. Firstly, he always dictates what kind of food I must have. It is common knowledge that I am truly gourmand and like to dabble in a variety of delicious foods. However having been with cab sauv for the whole month my taste buds have had to submit to a solitary diet of heavy red meat. Not that I don't like red meat, quite the contrary in fact, it is just that I feel somewhat compelled to eat it when I am with him as he is so domineering and wants to overpower everything.

The second thing I am beginning to tire of is the dark red tannin pigment that covers my teeth and lips every time we see each other. It is like we can't have a simple, pleasant evening together without him having to leave his mark. I am not sure if he is using it as a sign that I shouldn't be drinking so much. Regardless of the reason, it leaves me highly irritated and not looking my best.

To be perfectly honest the cracks started to appear very early on. While a dedicated relationship seemed like a good idea at the time, it is just not the kind of woman I am. I need variety, something that is going to tickle my fancy depending what particular mood I so happen to be in on that day. Luckily for me Wolf Blass came to my rescue last Wednesday when good old cab sauv was on my wine rack at home and none the wiser.

Yellow Label Wines - Premium Economy
The lovely people at Wolf Blass hosted a tasting through the levels of their wine collection at the Shang-ri la commencing on the ground floor and progressing to the top of the town view at Blu Bar on level 36. You would never have known that I had made a commitment to one variety as I flitted and flirted my way through the red, yellow and gold label wines from the collection.

Irresistible golden straw hue
I particularly took a liking to a rich buttery chardonnay. Batting my eyelids I glanced at his sparkling straw hues and gently gave a small twist to the stem of the glass and watched him swirl effortlessly up its rim. The aromas wafted through the air until it was impossible to resist. I took a glorious sip and swallowed. This was not one that would hit the spittoon.

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed dabbling with all of the wines at the tasting, the yellow label chardonnay and I made a connection. 

My lover for the evening.
Meet Gwurtztraminer
That is not the end of my confession though. I have been quite bad. Not only did I tramp myself around at the Wolf Blass tasting, but the following night I was invited to a dinner at the trendy new restaurant Food Society in Surry Hills and was introduced to another delectable specimen of German descent. I could barely pronounce his name properly but he had me at hello. They called him Box Stallion. He said he was from the Mornington Peninsula but his thick accent suggested true character from his heritage. 

From what I knew of Gewürztraminer I imagined that he would be more like Augustus Gloop from Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory, round and heavy, a little slow and full of sweetness. But this fine young specimen was far from that. True he was a pretty boy, clean and crisp with a handsome and inviting appearance, however he knew how to take control once tasted. The clean smooth talker cut straight through the sweetness I was expecting and finished like a pro. I could tell he had bowled over many unsuspecting women over before. 

Look, lets just be honest here. Despite all my flouncing about town, I still really do have feelings for Cabernet Sauvignon. He is strong and reassuring when I need a real man. I know may have complained a little about him earlier but he would be really upset if I told him what I had done. Maybe we can just keep this between us? I will try to be more faithful, but if I slip up from time to time can trust that this will go no further? Knowing my appetite I am going to need someone to confide in.

Wolf Blass Yellow Label Chardonnay 2010
Light and balanced with fresh flavours and a buttery smoothness. From the cool climate region of South Australia. A little piece of heaven on a wednesday. Retail $17.99

Box Stallion Gwurtztraminer 2008
From the Mornington Peninsula light and crisp with the expected fruit of Gwurtztraminer without the heavy finish. Easy to drink as it leaves the palate clear somewhat like the finish of a Sauvignon Blanc.
Enjoyed at Food Society 61 Riley St, Sydney.
On-premise price $48.00

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful work my sweet! I'm enjoying your blog immensely....can't wait until we get to my favorite 'Pinot Noir' (Perhaps a wee trip to Central Otago, NZ is required to immerse yourself in that one completely?!) ;-) xx

    ReplyDelete