Thursday 18 August 2011

Trying the Technique

After a rather low-key week I find myself at another Thursday evening; one of my favourite times of sanctuary. Although not quite finished with the working week the anticipation builds. Knowing that there is only one more day until I cruise into the weekend the corners of my mouth turn with contentment.

In a toasty warm little apartment, Tori Amos sing melodically in the background while I sip my cab sauv. Utter bliss!

Tonight I am trying the Embers 2009 Margaret River Cabernet Sauvignon in a attempt to master the fools guide to wine… how hard can it be?

As I learned last week, the first thing one must look for is what the colour looks like. I remember it is supposed to sparkle. Here goes… Embers colour is a deep blood red that occasionally flashes the colour of squashed berries on a white pavement. I try to look at the wine from different angles to test the verity of what I am seeing. Sideways I see the colour lighten to a transparent burgundy and glimmer around the glass in a perfect circle. From the top, the reflection of the light in the room reflects vibrantly from surface of the wine. Sparkling colour? Tick.

If I am not mistaken the next step is to look at the legs, which denote the viscosity (very technical term – I most certainly feel intelligent right now). I swirl the Embers cab sauv in the glass until it reaches halfway up. The base settles quickly when the motion ceases and leaves a clear film that slowly slides down in one collective movement until it reaches the bottom. I am not entirely sure what that means, but from previous experience of tasting poor quality wines where the clear film dissipates immediately once the swirling stops, I am concluding that this wine has a reasonable complexity. Legs - long thick and slow to descend.

Step 3 was to examine the nose. I have to force myself to not rush into this experience and try and figure out what the characteristics are of the nose. Focus McGuigan! Simply: does it smell pleasant?

I give my Embers a twirl and let the aromas rise in the glass. Luckily by this stage of the blog there is not much left in my glass and I do not fall prey to the unpleasant sensation of wine up the nose. The smell is delicious. Full, rich and funnily I can detect a scent of berries. The depth and alcohol content is also present as I feel the hairs inside my nose stand on end as the aromas float through. The nose on this wine definitely makes me want to taste it.

Finally the taste test! As the wine moves through my mouth I initially feel the alcohol as it slides down my throat. My tongue is livened with a delicious rich, hearty flavour and it carries itself to the sides of my cheeks and then to the back of my throat. 


Flametree Embers is a hit! I can hardly say that these four steps would make me an expert, however I feel a little more advanced on my journey then I did last week. Pouis' Fools Guide to Wine might just be the handy little tool-box I need to make it to the next level.


What I need to find out next is whether or not the Margaret River is traditionally a Cabernet Sauvignon producing region, what are the environmental characteristics that produce the best cab sauv and what are the best regions in Australia to produce it.


Looks like I will have to do some more research. Shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment