Saturday 17 September 2011

Drinking Chardie with Sarah Nally

My first wine adventure of the week took place on Thursday evening with Lady Sarah Nally. Ms Nally and I lived together in a large Darlinghurst terrace with two other flat mates during a time where DJ's for parties were paid with a case of beer, when riding a mattress down a staircase was a completely normal pass time and upsetting neighbours when party guests urinated on their pot plants was just part of life. A few weeks ago I was delighted to hear from my darling friend who I had lost contact with over the past few years and we set up a wine date.

We met at the very sophisticated Bambini Trust wine bar. The interior of this space is what I imagine the manor that I intend to live in one day might look like (the decor... not the bar, although a bar might be nice). The walls are covered with European inspired wallpaper, French chandeliers and cute brasserie like tables. The wall of wine screams knowledge and status without appearing pretentious. Just across from the lush green of Hyde Park this little wine bar has the potential of great beauty when sitting on the tables outside, it is a shame about the six lanes of traffic though.

Miss Nally  and I spent no time at all getting reacquainted. It was almost like it was meant to be. When she asked me what I was drinking, I explained about Oui Merci Wine Club and that this month we were drinking Chardonnay. I was surprised that this was absolutely to her utmost delight. "I have always drunk Chardonnay" she commented, a statement that took me somewhat by surprise "Even when everyone hated Chardonnay?" I asked in response. 


Apparently so. She divulged a touching story of the difficulty of being a Chardonnay drinker when all others loved Sauvignon Blanc. For a point it even compromised her relationship. "We would go to the bottle shop together and it would always result in a compromise, or alternatively two bottles,” she confessed with downcast eyes. She told me that people would look at her funny, sometimes sneer but the worst were the ones who tried to make her change her mind.

A classically strong woman, Sarah stuck to her guns and one day received a call from her North English born beau, she answered the phone completely unexpecting what she heard "Babe... Ai luv chard-nay... Ai luv it!” he had tried some delicious Leewin Estate Chardonnay and was converted. From that moment their relationship was strengthened by a mutual love for chardonnay. Sean and Sarah are now engaged and will most likely be drinking chardonnay at their wedding. Ok, I made that last bit up, but it makes a nice ending doesn't it?

Sarah Nally all grown up
Me and my chardie
We spent the evening going through the wine list and trying a number of different styles from different regions. Our ignorance in this circumstance did not do us any justice as we started with heavier styles than we wanted to end with. When we tried different lighter versions later in the evening they made our mouths pucker at the sides and seemed far to acidic. It did teach us a valuable lesson though, before ordering wine make sure you speak to the wine waiter or manager. More than likely they will be able to guide you to what it is you are looking for, and if like us you want a few they will be able to tell you which order to drink them to savour the enjoyment of each and every one.

Check out Bambini Wine Room for yourself at http://www.bambinitrust.com.au/
I would love to know your thoughts.

As for the next thing... last night I was treated to an amazing sake experience at my favourite Japanese restaurant in the world, Zushi on Crown Street. You will have to wait until the next post to hear about that one though but here is the link to wet your appetite http://www.zushi.com.au/. 

Have a super doper weekend. Love Guigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment